Last fall I purchased and planted a single bulb of Fritillaria imperialis ‘Lutea Maxima’. It was planted in a container on our back patio. I was very surprised by how early it sprouted (if I recall correctly it already had flower buds when the crocuses were blooming). After learning that the Crown Imperial Fritillary is pollinated by birds in its native habitat I decided to give it a hand (or actually, a Q-tip) to see if I could get it to produce seed. A month or two after it finished flowering I ended up with a single seed pod. It was quite interesting watching as the whole plant turned brown and went dormant while the seed pod stayed quite alive and green.

Patiently I waited for the pod to fully ripen. It seemed like it took a long time. Eventually though, it did dry out and crack open (about 3 weeks after the photo above was taken).

And finally, here’s what the seed and the inside of the pod look like:

Hopefully successful germination will be the topic of a future post!